Dual Layer DVD Burners

schi0249

Mid Boss
I was looking at picking up a Dual Layer burner to replace my old and slow single layer drive. I have a video question for everyone. Will the discs I burn (DVD-9) play in a standard home DVD player? I have a Panasonic model DVD-S47S. I know it supports DVD-RAM and DVD-R as I have played both in the unit.

If no one knows the answer, does any know a good place to look for it.

Thanks.

As long as the drive support Bitsetting / Booktype setting it should be no problem. Only +R media can be bitset, it pretty much means that the +R media is recognized as a real DVD-ROM disc so increases comptability to around 99%, on the other hand -R Dual Layer media has very poor compatibility so stear clear, +R Dual Layer media with bitsetting has best compaiblity. Read this article on bitsetting over at cdfreaks = http://www.cdfreaks.com/article/150

No, the point of bitsetting is to fool your player into thinking it's playing back a pressed commercial dvd instead of a DVD+r or +rw.

I just made this post on another forum:

Bitsetting allows you to change the "book type" of a burned DVD+R and sometimes DVD+RW (if supported). If you don't change your bitsetting, your DVD player will check the "book type" of the burned disc. If the player doesn't support DVD+R (or +RW) by default, it may not play. However, if Bitsetting is set to ON with your burner, your burned disc will not be identified as +R or +RW, but instead as DVD-ROM. DVD-ROM is what pressed (commercial dvds) are set as. Since all commercial dvd players are designed to play DVD-ROM discs (and not necessarily +R or +RW) , the compatibility of your burned discs will increase. But that's no guarantee it WILL play.

For example, I've heard some xbox game consoles won't play DVD+R, but if you burned it as DVD+ROM, they will work.

My suggestion is first try a DVD+R bitset to DVD-ROM. If you don't know how I suggest poking around the forums here:

http://club.cdfreaks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=61

It may be necessary to upgrade your firmware, as i did with my plextor dvdr

Back