Dreamcast to HDTV

i asked a similar question in the saturn boards. i understand how the vga box works, and the pinout. i know there are quite a few games that run in 480p. how can i acheive this on my hdtv with component intput. i don't have a vga input. would i need a transcoder? if so how would this affect its resolution?

...how can i achieve this on my hdtv with component input. i don't have a vga input. would i need a transcoder? if so how would this affect its resolution?...

Yes you will need VGA->YUV transcoder and it won't be cheap - if you see one for under $50 that's more than likely cheap line doubler, not true transcoder. No there won't be any change on PQ wise if that's what you are asking. It simply transcode RGBVH into YUV so your HDTV can understand.

and yes there are many titles that simply won't work in VGA mode and others that require the VGA box trick which is easy to do but annoying nevertheless...

cheers

I guess i'm just looking to get the best picture from my consoles to my hdtv. I understand that rgb is the best quality i can pull from my machines, but i having trouble understanding how to hook it up. i don't want to play games on my computer monitor, i'd rather play them in my living room. when you say there won't be any change in picture quality from the vga transcoder, do you mean there isn't any change from vga to component, or do you mean no change from the regular composite output?

I had VGA box for Xbox and when I tested on my Plasma screen using RGBVH output to Xbox YUV output the PQ was identical. Couldn't tell the difference myself. With Saturn as there's anything to compare against - I don't have transcoder for RGB->VGA nor YUV->VGA, just RGB->YUV - can't tell whether YUV transcoding would be better or worse than VGA one.

Now composite is different beast all together as it sits bottom of ladder...

for RGB many European TV do support RGB at least on one Scart input. Or you could get RGB monitor but that would be expensive/difficult option.

Back