Celeron 1.2GHZ & WinXP SP-2..

Hello.

I’m thinking about installing WinXP SP-2, Office 2003, with all the latest updates on my mates PC.

It’s the following system:

Celeron 1.2GHZ

256MB RAM

GF2 MX 64MB

20GB HD

Internal 56K Modem

Will it be able to cope with WinXp & Office 2003 adequately?

How well will it work, or should I install Win2000 & Office 2000 instead?

The system will be primarily used for word processing, Web surfing, watching DVDs, playing some minor 3D games, 2D games & emulation.

Oh I forgot to mention that I'm also planning on installing Zone Alarm Pro, Microsoft Anti-spam, Ad-Aware/Ad-Watch & McAffee Antivirus Enterprize 7.1, which will all load up on boot-up & take up resources.

So will this PC be able to handle all these & have some resources left to do the rest in WinXP SP-2?

(Word processing, Web surfing, watching DVDs, playing some minor 3D games, 2D games & emulation.)

Thanks in advance.

It'll run... as long as you keep it to one or two applications running at the same time you shouldn't have a prob.

My friend has XP running on his 633mhz with 128 megs of RAM. It is bareable... no DVD playback though. But then he doesn't have a video card.

Personally I have 3 computers. The slow one which is a 600 mhz OC'd to 900mhz with 192 megs of RAM is running Ubuntu Linux. I didn't like the results I got with XP. I'm getting pretty good speed on Linux though.

I can play movies on mine... I have a GeForce Ti4200 with 128 megs of RAM though.

Is NOD32 antivirus free? Some guy mentioned it to me... that it's supposed to take up very little resources. Is it any good?

Links?

How about I ditch the firewall all together & only use WinXP SP-2 firewall on his rig?

It seems to be fine on my PC at least with all updates & stuff... no problems yet.

I've run XP (not SP2, just SP1) on a 333mhz K6-2 with 96 megs of RAM. It was a bit sluggish, as you would imagine, but it actually ran acceptably.

For a good free antivirus program, I recommend AntiVir (www.free-av.de). It's nice and unobtrusive and not a big resource hog.

How about Black Ice firewall?

I've heard that it's supposed to be good & not use too much resources.

My old laptop is a Celery 1.2 with 256MB of ram - runs XP SP2 fine if you turn off the eye candy. You might as well stick with the WinXP firewall - you can't uninstall it anyway and it does a good enough job.

Can't comment on Office 2003 - I still use Office 97 for everything.

I am acctually at the mo, using a PIII 450Mhz, 384MB Ram and it runs like a dream for casual stuff.

Obviously i don't run games (bar 3D Mahjonng) or DVD movies (ain't got a DVD Drive :p ) but it runs XP SP2, OpenOffice 2.0 RC, Music, Firefox and networking stuff like Hamachi very well.

I took out all the fancy graphical features, that improved it quite a bit, It runs Security progs like AVG Free and Sygate Personal Firewall (both Free) very well without any noticeable effect on the computer.

Have to use it while my Laptop is at HP. 2 Weeks now, never usually takes this long, getting annoyed at waiting.

I'd agree pretty much with what's been said so far. You might see a boost by going to 512MB of RAM, but generally that machine should be able to handle itself.

Well, I did install WinXP PRO SP-2, Office 2003, all updates, Mcafee Antivirus Enterprise 7.1 & Ad-Aware Pro, on another PIII 1GHZ, 256MB RAM & TNT2 Model 64 32MB PC & it’s working perfectly. It boots up very fast & all applications work like a charm.

But I’m quite skeptical about my mates PC, because the Celeron 1.2GHZ CPU, is not quite as powerful since it only has 128K Cache, as opposed to the PIII’s 256K Cache.

So I don’t know how it’ll work.

I think the equivalent in “raw” processing power to the Celeron @ 1.2GHZ, is a PIII @ 850MHZ…

Nah...not really. There is no linear relationship between Celeron and PIII processors. True, equivelently clocked PIIIs will usually benchmark higher than a Celeron counterpart, but it's application dependant how that'll translate into real world usage. IIRC, the Tulatin core CPUs of that era (like the Celery 1.2 your mate has there) were pretty damn good anyway.

Standard desktop/office apps will be fine. Like Ex said, the thing that PC will most benefit from is extra ram, but it shouldn't be necessary.

I've got XP-SP2 on an old laptop of mine (266Mhz PII with 192MB of ram and 4GB HDD) it works fine for surfing the internet and doing minor tasks..

Back