can i get some info on the PS2?

yo, i recently bought a PS2.

what i want to know is what is available to me as far as modding and customizing the console goes.

im mainly interested in playing original copy US games on my PAL platform

i also have an interest in a hard drive.

i bought a dms3 chip i'm having it worked on right now so i dont know how good it is but there's a few different chips out there thing is the ps2 isn't an easy mod project if you dont have the right tools and the skill.

ive heard alot of rumours of ps2's being ruined from modchips and things such as the dvd playback being disabled.

any of that true?

most of that comes from people not modding it right it's a hard job i'm not joking my ps2 might be fucked right now because at first i let some EE student at my school try to mod it. he was all i've been soldering stuff for a long time i'm an expert blah blah blah blah might have fucked my ps2 up perm so i sent my unit to somebody in MD that does instals and repairs to get it working.

Yeah, modding PS2 is not a trivial job. Most people who had any kind of common sense and a decent guide could pick up an iron and mod a PSX in about an hour (most of that time due to being suitably cautious and prepared). PS2 mods are quite different beasts. The main difference is that PSX mods weren't doing anything more than synthesizing a low-speed serial data stream, while PS2 mods do that and perform "on-the-fly" patching of the BIOS, which is on a high-speed paralell ROM bus. This means that the chip takes more power (which means better Vcc/ground routing and thicker wire), and its operation is sensitive to crosstalk and excessively long wires, which means that just putting it in the wrong place can result in an occasional BIOS crash (though this should only occur at startup).

the hdd and most mod chips do NOT get along. i suggest snooping around ps2ownz before deciding on anything.

Back