Best 2D Fighter on GBA?

This Wednesday night, I'm off on a vacation with my family and such. Tragically, this means seperation between me and my consoles. :( However, it's also a chance to expand my GBA library, as well as devote some serious time to the games I have for it.

Up until now, I've resisted the lure of 2D fighters for the system. However, I now greatly desire one. I just want some advice on which one I should get.

I'd appreciate any advice you can give me. If you want to recommend some random game for long trips, that would be great too. :unsure: Thanks.

(By the way, while on this trip, I'm going to be pretty effectively cut off from the internet. I'll be on occasionally to check to mail, but beyond that, I doubt I'll be on the forum much (if at all). Even though I'm not sure if anyone knows who I am :unsure: , I just wanted to say that I'll miss you guys. :sigh )

I've only played around with them a little bit, but I'd have to go with SFA3. I've also read many positive things.

But personally, I can't bring myself to play fighters on my GBA much because I can' do without my joystick and six-button layout. Maybe you're different.

Anyway, another good alternative that I do enjoy is Sonic Battle.

I'm gonna pass on voting here. Never played any of those games. I've never gotten into fighters on a handheld. They just aren't as much fun when you have no multi-player.

well i have guilty gear and SFA 3. I have to say SFA3 is by far the best choice. Not only does it play well, but there is a lot to do with the game.

Originally posted by reX dart: eskimo spy@Jul 13, 2004 @ 01:46 AM

(By the way, while on this trip, I'm going to be pretty effectively cut off from the internet. I'll be on occasionally to check to mail, but beyond that, I doubt I'll be on the forum much (if at all). Even though I'm not sure if anyone knows who I am :unsure: , I just wanted to say that I'll miss you guys. :sigh )

How long are you away for?

BTW, if you want one of the best handheld fighting experiences available, get SNK vs. Capcom:Match of the Millenium for the NGPC. It's one of the best handheld games ever.

Originally posted by it290@Jul 12, 2004 @ 05:27 PM

BTW, if you want one of the best handheld fighting experiences available, get SNK vs. Capcom:Match of the Millenium for the NGPC. It's one of the best handheld games ever.

yeah I've heard good things about it.

what makes it so special?

Well, it's just awesome. The animation is great, there are plenty of awesome characters from both sides, plenty of classic music is thrown into the game, plus tons of extras. Also, the NGPC is better equipped for fighters thanks to its responsive thumbstick vs the GBA's somewhat stiff dpad.

Originally posted by it290@Jul 12, 2004 @ 12:27 PM

:agree

Yes, that game beats SFA3 by a lot! It is freakin great! Just cause it doesn't look as pretty as SFA3 don't mean it isn't as good.

I leave tonight, around 10 pm Pacific time. Or in about two hours. I'll still check back here from time to time, but I probably won't be able to post due to time restrictions. I get back on August 23rd.

I'd like to thank everyone for their advice on this. I picked up Sonic Battle a few days ago to keep me busy on the trip there, and while I'm there, I'll likely pick up Alpha 3. Although EX2 does sound more appealing, as I'm more a fan of KOF than SF. But I'll take your word for it. EX2 will have to wait.

As far as the controls go, I too was hesitant to get one for that very reason. But I've recently had a craving for 2D fighters and I feel like getting one. If the controls really are frustrating, I could always get my GBA modded so the L and R triggers are placed above the A and B buttons in the traditional controller set up seen on DC, Xbox, and PS controllers. Or I can wait until the DS comes out, which will have the four buttons already there. Besides, I suck at 2D fighters anyway, so bad controls can't lower my abilities too much. :p

At any rate, these are the things I'm telling myself to make me feel better about the controls for these games. "It can only get better."

Thanks again, everyone at SX! I hope to talk to you again soon! I'd send a postcard if I knew your addresses! ;)

Back