Anyone hook up their linux box -> HDTV?

slinga

Established Member
Hey all,

I need some tips on hooking up my linux (mythtv) box to my HDTV. My tv supports 480p and 1080i. Whenever I put my machine into 1920x1080 resolution the display looks terrible and I'm pretty sure the refresh rates are wrong. At lower resolutions it looks ok, but it's not what I want...

I'm connecting a GeForce 6600 GT via DVI-D to my TV which has a DVI (HDCP actually, hope that's not the culprit).

I tried with both SuSE and Ubuntu. I'd rather do this machine with Ubuntu since there are so many more guides out there, but I can't find a tool like SaX2 on Ubuntu. Argh.

Thanks in advance.

First off... your TV doesn't support 720p per chance? personally I find that picture much better then 1080i.

Anyways... if it doesn't to get a decent 1080i picture you should output a 540p signal.

So set your res to 960X540 at 60hz... your TV should interpret it as a 1080i signal (unless it supports 540p which would suck)

Actually instead of me typing all this shit out... I'll link a little guide for you.

Try this one out which you use a Windows install to figure out your numbers. It is nice because you do less tinkering and figuring shit out

Or try out KnoppMyth. The guy put this together and it makes the entire install process very trivial especially when using geforce. Great tutorials and other crap too... sign up for the forums to get further assistance as well.

I personally advise using putty or something to SSH in and do everything after install.

Hey LoD,

I've been fooling around with this for quite a while and it's a pain, but on the plus side I'm learning a lot. And yeah my tv supports only 480p and 1080i.

Anyway, can you explain why I should use 960x540 and not 1920x1080, or 1920x540? I sorta have my desktop accepting 1920x1080, but it's flickering like a mofo. It's also jumping up and down a little, making it impossible to see stuff. At one point I tried 960x540 and I think it worked, but then I got greedy and went for the higher resolutions.

Back