Anyone Got OS X yet?

aahh....

yeah... like three years ago...

but I think you mean the new osx Tiger?

I'ts great...

dashboard and spotlight are really cool!

but the best thing is the new quicktime 7!

the best media player EVER!

check out the hd gallery on the apple site!

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/hdgallery/

and you can even convert movies to 3gp format for your cellphone!

I didn't realize until I installed Tiger yesterday that dashboard was not done as a freestanding application. It's shown as being launched in the Dock all the time and you can't close it.

With a little peek under the hood with ps, I discovered that it's actually integrated into Dock.app. All of the functionality of bringing up the Dashboard pane and the widghet launcher is part of Dock.app itself. Widgets are run from a separate program (DashboardClient.app) which is inside the Dock.app bundle. Fun stuff.

Too bad all the widgets use completely different color schemes. They look terrible together once you've got a few launched.

Haven't used spotlight yet. I rarely need to search for files, especially on my Mac (most of my data files are on my Windows box).

Originally posted by dokkie

but the best thing is the new quicktime 7!

the best media player EVER!

MPEG4-10 is really cool, but I'd hardly call Quicktime 7 the best media player ever. You have to pay just to be able to view videos in fullscreen. Ugh.

Yeah, I've never cared too much for any version of QuickTime. Apple really needs to get their act together and unify the GUI.. they change it in each new release, and it gives one the impression that they're more concerned about it than other parts of the operating system, although at the same time they just keep making it look more disjointed. The OS X series has seen substantial improvements, of course, but I'm just saying they should pick a look and stick with it. The classic OS didn't change too much at all GUI-wise, from its earliest days to its last, which was a major usability factor (something Apple supposedly cares about).

All in all, a good release, though. I do have to say this to Apple, though -- fix the goddamned font management! It's pretty ridiculoous to have to move all my fonts to a different directory every few months. Not to mention the fact that several Apple apps get borked if you install a different Helvetica.

I'm pissed of new OS X versions!

The reason is that a lot of programs require new OS X versions. Apple software developers seem to force you to update the OS every year.

I got OS X 10.2.8 Jaguar, my iBook is from 2003 and it seems to be already heavily outdated, because I can't run:

- any least cost router

- new GIMP versions

- games like Scorched3D

- a lot of other apps

For me it's just common case to maximise compatibility of an application, but apple devvers never heard of that, I think.

Back