A/C Adapter Problems

My Sega Master System 1 works perfectly but the power cord has to be fiddled around with so that it works. If the cord moves a little the power turns off and I have to move it back to a certain position for it to turn on. I would like to know if I need an entirely new system or just a cord, can you help me?

Thankyou.

Originally posted by originalprangster@Sun, 2005-11-20 @ 03:14 AM

My Sega Master System 1 works perfectly but the power cord has to be fiddled around with so that it works. If the cord moves a little the power turns off and I have to move it back to a certain position for it to turn on. I would like to know if I need an entirely new system or just a cord, can you help me?

Thankyou.

[post=141898]Quoted post[/post]​

That problem is usually in the system's power connector itself. It stems from lotsof side-ways pulling and jamming on the cord while it's plugged in.

My solution is usually to just find the angle that works and then tape it in place.

Originally posted by Jedi Master Thrash@Sat, 2005-11-26 @ 06:21 PM

That problem is usually in the system's power connector itself. It stems from lotsof side-ways pulling and jamming on the cord while it's plugged in.

My solution is usually to just find the angle that works and then tape it in place.

[post=141944]Quoted post[/post]​

One thing to check is to see if the prongs on the AC adapter are loose. Meaning, if the power problem is with loose prongs or a short in the cable itself.

For the former case, assuming you can get the AC adapter open (many of them have security screws or are just sealed together) resoldering the prongs to the PCB will solve the problem. Over time they can get loose, and then you have to jiggle the AC adapter until they make a connection, internally.

Anyway, I'm still kicking my SNES power supply all the time to make it work. The 3rd-party replacements aren't very good. :\

. . .

Take the system apart, remove the mainboard, and check the power connector. I'd bet money the soldering broke loose. Resolder and maybe epoxy the connector down, and everything will be fine. I've fixed half a dozen Genesis 2s with this problem.

Back